Nehemiah, the king’s cupbearer, grieved at the plight of Jerusalem’s walls returns and sees to their rebuilding.
Author & date
Because of the similarity of the language between the books of the Chronicles, Ezra and Nehemiah, students conclude that Nehemiah was complied by Ezra.
c.445- 425 BC
A. 3rd. return under Nehemiah Ch.1-7
- Nehemiah’s prayer Ch.1
- Nehemiah’s return Ch.2
- The walls built in troublous times Ch.3-7:3
- The Genealogy of teh people. C.7:4-73
B. Reforms Ch.8-13
- Ezra gives the sense of God’s word Ch.8
- The People confess Ch.9
- Covenant with the Lord Ch.10
- Dedication of the Temple Ch.12
- Nehemiah’s reforms Ch.13
- Until the third century the books of Ezra and Nehemiah were a single book.