During the dark days of the Judges, we have recorded in Ruth an oasis in the desert.
Author & date
The author and date are unknown, but the internal evidence of the book suggests that it was written after teh period of the Judges. see Ruth1:1& Ruth 4:22, which records the genealogy down to David.
A. Ruth chooses Ch.1
- Elimelech moves to Moab Ch1:1-5
- Ruth returns with Naomi Ch.1:6-22
B. Ruth & Boaz Ch.2-3
- Ruth in Boaz’s field Ch2:1-3
- Boaz’s kindness Ch.2:4-17
- Naomi’s encouragement Ch.2:18-3:6
- Ruth’s legal claim Ch.3:7-36
C. Ruth & Boaz marry Ch.4
- The nearest kinsman refuses to redeem Ch.4:1-7
- Boaz redeems and marries Ruth Ch.4:8-12
- Genealogy of David Ch.4:13-22
There are only two books of the Bible devoted the he history of women:
- Ruth, a Gentile, who marries a Hebrew man
- Esther, a Jewess, who marries a gentile.
b. The Famine
Ruth 1:1-5, was this the famine of Jud.6:3-4?