Esther, a Jewess marries a Gentile king and saves her people from destruction.
Author & date
Various theories about the authorship of Esther have been proposed.
- Mordecai based on Ch.9:20.
- The book being a transcript of the official Persian records.
- An unknown Jew.
A. The Feast of the King Ch.1-2:17
- Vashti deposed Ch.1
- Esther chosen as Queen Ch.2:1-17
B. The Feast of Esther Ch.2;18-7:10
- The King makes a feast for Esther Ch.2:18-20
- Mordecai saves the King Ch.2:21-23
- Haman’s plot against the Jews Ch.3
- Mordecai persuades Esther to plead to the King Ch.4
- Esther finds favour with the King Ch.5
- Mortdecai honoured by the King Ch.6
- Haman’s plot exposed and is executed Ch.7
C. The Feast of Purim Ch.8-10
- Ahasuerus makes a decree to help teh Jews. Ch.8
- The Jews defeat the enemy Ch.9:1-19
- The Feast of Purim established Ch.9:20-32
- Ahasuerus and Mordecai Ch.10
- The king mentioned in Esther, Ahasuerus, is believed, by many commentators, to be Xerxes the Great.