I & II Thessalonians
Background Paul's visit Purpose Outline
* Thessalonica was the capital of the province of Macedonia.
* It was a cosmopolitan city with a very important commercial port.
* There was a large Jewish population.
* Arrived at Thessalonica after leaving Philippi. II Thess.2:1-2
* There Paul received a gift from the believers at Philippi Phil. 4:16
* He spent three sabbaths preaching from the scriptures.
* Those that believed not stirred up the people forcing Paul and Silas to leave.
* Paul went to Berea, Athens and then to Corinth, where it is believed Paul wrote these two epistles. cmp. Acts 18:5
* Timothy was sent to Thessalonica I Thess.3:1-2; 6-7
* The second coming of Jesus is the central theme of both these letters
* From I Thess. 3;1-8 and II Thess.2: 1-2 it would appear that Paul's teaching was based on the reports Timothy gave.
* Each of the eight chapters has themes related to the second coming of Jesus
Jesus our returning Saviour